Another Monday, another campout. After coffee at Rapha, I headed out to Walnut Creek on BART to camp in the hills.
Camping In The Hills, Tour Chasing
s=”alignnone size-large wp-image-2066″ title=”DSCF6688″ src=”http://www.pushingthepedals.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/DSCF6688-600×399.jpg” alt=”" width=”600″ height=”399″ />
I had planned to camp alone, but when I stopped by Camera West to say hi to Dan, who sold me my new Fuji X-Pro1 and rides his Rivendell to work every day, he decided to come at the last minute.
The spot we rode to is one I’ve camped at several times, but it was more overgrown than I’d ever seen it.
The campsite is at the top of a hill, and has great views of Mt. Diablo and surrounding cities.
I’ve removed the Anything Cages for now and swapped them with water bottles. It’s nice to have four bottles handy on a warm campout. Cass just picked up the perfect cage for the Fargo fork, made by King Cage. Titanium, with a triple bolt mount and fitted for a 40oz Kleen Kanteen. He has a picture of it on his post.
I picked a flat-ish spot to pitch my tent, but it wasn’t until I laid down that I noticed the mound right in the middle.
The lights of the town are always a nice view.
1/6th of a second, ISO 3200
We packed up early and headed back to town.
The trail was bumpy and often covered in sand. So close to civilization, but still feels remote enough to be an adventure.
I met up with some folks from Rivendell in the afternoon and rode up about 1000 feet on Mt. Diablo to check out stage three of the Tour of California.
I’ve ridden this road maybe 70 times, it is amazing every time!
I’m really glad that Dan decided to come out camping, it’s always nice to have a companion, and he’s always a great sport. He doesn’t have a tent yet, so he just grabbed his sleeping bag and pad and slept under the stars.
It doesn’t take much to get out there and camp for one night, and with the great weather and long days there’s no excuse not to get out there! I’m headed out today for another one, if anybody is going to Samuel P. Taylor, say hi!
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
- Purchasing a Bicycle Direct May 3, 2012
- Claire’s first bike camping trip June 29, 2011
- Review: Aaron’s Surly Troll with Rohloff Speedhub July 14, 2011
- Camping In The Hills, Tour Chasing May 16, 2012
- Guest Post: Ciclismo Cubano August 12, 2012
- New Bunyan Velo Issue and Rivendell Popup Store May 28, 2013
- News From Mountain West April 5, 2013
- Destination Utah! January 28, 2013
- Stein Mini-Cassette Tool January 1, 2013
- New Gear and Prepping Olivia’s Adventure December 20, 2012
- Tom Keenan: Dan, Congratulations on the article. Yea for t...
- Richard: You may not know but you are now using the Rohloff...
- Hernan Carrillo: Cheers Daniel! May life changes be good to you....
- Daniel: Thanks Nuno, glad to hear from you!...
- Nuno Pimenta: great trip. love the blog. I'm a fresh bike comu...